The Berdan Building

Historical Elements The Berdan Building was designed by architect George Stafford Mills. This 4 story, 130,000 square foot warehouse building is located in downtown Toledo, OH. Mill’s design was based on the Richardson’s Marshall Field warehouse in Chicago, which incorporates large open arched windows underneath a grouping of three smaller arched windows. The Berdan Building…

Detroit News Parking Garage

Historical Elements Designed by Albert Khan, the 111,000 square-foot parking garage was built in 1924–25 featuring 200 parking spots. The five-story building with additional roof top parking is located in the heart of downtown. When it was con-structed, the building was enclosed with steel windows and wired glass. The parking garage was also heated, which…

1145 Griswold, Capital Park Building

­Historical Elements Located in Downtown Detroit, this 11-story building was constructed in 1912. Originally the Capital Park Building, which was home to the grocery chain of Peter Smith & Sons Company. The capital park name comes from the nearby capital park that once was home to Michigan’s first State Capital building. Over the years the…

Vinton Building — Detroit, Michigan

Historical Elements The neoclassical building with strong vertical piers was designed by Albert Kahn. It is believed to be the first skyscraper he designed. The 12-story building was completed in 1917. The project was financed and commissioned by the Vinton Construction Company. At the time of construction, it was one of the tallest buildings in…

Old Saint Mary’s School

Historical Elements Located in Downtown Detroit, the 5-story school house opened in 1868 and is one of the oldest Catholic school buildings in Michigan. The building also housed an orphanage and sisters’ residence. The school closed in 1966, the building then became the Saint Mary’s Community Center for a number of years. The 29,000-square foot…