Wood Window Replication, Detroit, Michigan

The Cary Building was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 25, 1983 in addition to being a part of the Broadway Ave. Historic District in Detroit, MI. Built in 1906 by Frank M. Cary, with architect Richard E. Raseman.

Construction of the Cary Building started the transformation from an upper-class residential area into a fashionable commercial district. It is a 5-story building, designed in the Beaux-Art architectural style. Strong use of vertical bays with capping arches, broad, round, segmental-arched and square-headed windows throughout the building.

The original wood windows were deemed beyond restoration by BlackBerry. This was a challenge to replicate due to such large openings with multiple window configurations. In total, (49) window openings were replicated out of clear sapele wood (mahogany family) with insulated glass, weight, chain and pulley operation. All profiles and shapes were replicated to match existing components including material profiles within ⅛” of the original dimensions.

BlackBerry chose a high-quality exterior paint finish with interior stained and urethane finish. For the insulated glass, low-e/argon was used with 3-part simulated divided lite muntins to maximize energy efficiency. This historic building has been successfully brought back to life and now serves as a mixed-use building with retail and dining on the ground floor and offices on the second through fifth floors.

The property is owned and managed by Bedrock Properties, anchoring revitalization in downtown Detroit. The final project was approved by the National Park Service for Federal Historic Tax Credits.

Cary1

Cary2

Cary3

Cary4

Cary5

Cary6

Cary7

Cary8

Cary9

Cary10

Cary11

Cary12