DetroitParkingGarage1

DetroitParkingGarage2

DetroitParkingGarage3

DetroitParkingGarage4

DetroitParkingGarage5

DetroitParkingGarage6

DetroitParkingGarage7

DetroitParkingGarage8

DetroitParkingGarage9

DetroitParkingGarage10

DetroitParkingGarage11

DetroitParkingGarage12

DetroitParkingGarage13

DetroitParkingGarage14

DetroitParkingGarage15

DetroitParkingGarage16

Historical Elements

Designed by Albert Khan, the 111,000 square-foot parking garage was built in 1924–25 featuring 200 parking spots. The five-story building with additional roof top parking is located in the heart of downtown. When it was con-structed, the building was enclosed with steel windows and wired glass. The parking garage was also heated, which was very progressive at that time. ­The structure was built to accompany the Detroit News Building and provide parking to the employees along with retail shops and a full-service garage. Federal Historic Tax Credit Project.

BBS Work/Role

  • BlackBerry restored the steel windows. This involved the complete removal of all windows, shop stripping, metal repair, and finish painting. All windows were returned to the site and installed in the original openings with new custom mullions.
  • Instead of re-glazing the windows, a third party installed wire mesh for improved ventilation in the parking garage.
  • Restored parking attendant’s booth
  • 30% of the openings had conditions beyond being able to be restored. For those openings, a Bliss NorAm Steel Historic Replica product was used.

Current Use

  • To serve as parking for future 615 Lafayette Detroit Media Partnership tenants.
  • Was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.
  • Largest steel window restoration project undertaken so far in Detroit.